RE: [LUG] wireless musings

This thread has really made me think about making a wireless network in my
town (just for my friends) so I can share files and play games and stuff.

my question is what sort of power do you think I would need to cover say 2
miles 360 degrees and the same question for 5/6 miles, also how insecure are
these connections, are we talking about having a VPN capable firewall at
each end and making an IPSec tunnel or can I just rely on the inbuilt
security.

also would my friends have to have a similar set-up to me, or would a
Wireless Access Point be enough.

thanks in advance

regards

Mark Cubitt