Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

On Thursday 03 Jul 2003 11:34 pm, Keith Abraham wrote:
> > > They report that spam email is choking the Internet.
> > >
> > > Well I've been using Linux off and on since feb 2000
> > > (continously for the 12mths) and I have only had
> > > 3 (yes three!) unsolicited emails.

Well on the other end of the spectrum, I get 50 ~ 60 spam messages a day. I
have about 20 or so filter rules in place to take care of them. I also run
custom scripts that examine headers for the spammers ISP and generate an
email to the abuse team.

[rant] If I had my way, anyone affiliated with the promotion of spam would be
taken outside and shot. First in the knees and then in the head. The only
people I hate more than spammers are the idiots who read spam and then buy
something advertised within, propagating the vicious cycle. Their fate is
best decided by the new penis enlargment / hair growth / debt solution, they
have just acquired.

I dream of a day when enlightened ISPs will understand that it is more cost
effective to keep spam off their networks than it is to keep investing in the
infrastructure that conveys it. [/rant]

/rob