Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

I really at a loss to explain why I do not get the
amount of spam some have reported.

I have done all the normal things any user does.
I've mailed my friends, groups and manufacturers
etc and also made purchases via email and from web
sites. So there has been plenty of opportunity for
someone to get hold of my address.

I use Kmail as my mailer but so do others and
I can't see that there is anything special about
Kmail which keeps out spam. I don't even have
any filters set up.

The one possiblity I can think of is that I have left
blank any email address section in my browsers.
Perhaps some spammers obtain addresses from
here and that's why my address is not on any
spammers database. That said it's strange I have
had 3 spam mails so I must have been on someone's
list. But as I had 2 in 2002 and so far only 1 this
year there doesn't appear to be a concerted effort
to target me.

And, as most spammers get their lists by hi-jacking
large email databases, surely I must appear on a
database somewhere.

Perhaps there is something specific to me that
deters spam eg  Opera (my browser of choice)
has a section which indicates my personal interests
for advertising purposes and my entries may be
too esoteric for a spammer? But that seems just plain
ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad I have such a low spam
count (I nearly wrote sperm!!) but I'd like to know why.

Keith

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 3:05 pm, Pete Hatton wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Keith Abraham wrote:
> > The media seem to be getting all worked up about
> > spam email. No doubt because the EU is getting
> > excited about it too.
> >
> > They report that spam email is choking the Internet.
> >
> > Well I've been using Linux off and on since feb 2000
> > (continously for the 12mths) and I have only had
> > 3 (yes three!) unsolicited emails.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> 3 Spam's in the last 3 years? Consider yourself lucky I think.  On average
> I get, about 2-5 a day, which are caught by the spam filters, and come
> through common addresses like hostmaster@xxxx
>
> Maybe you could tell us what you have done to be so spam free! :)
>
> Pete Hatton
> E-mail:  pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Webpage: http://www.monolight.org

SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, Maxtor 20GB HD and
using KDE's Kmail