Re: [LUG] Lib Dem MP view on needs for public sector IT support

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:34:50AM +0100, Darke, Clive wrote:
> While I agree with everything said so far, there is one other factor that is
> important - FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).  IBM used it twenty years ago
> - "No one got fired for buying IBM", and now Microsoft are doing the same.
> Why should a (relatively) low-paid public sector procurement or IT manager
> stick out his/her neck and go for Linux?  Its a risk which they  do not have
> to take.  It might be wimpy, but there are a lot of wimps out there!  Linux
> has the perception of being difficult, even though it is not, and many
> people still do not understand Open Source and the GPL.  Linux must appear
> SAFE (sorry for shouting).

Or proprietary software must appear dangerous...

Most people simply do not understand software licencing.

An obvious example is people putting the GPL into an install
program as though it is an EULA. When the GPL is a *distribution*
licence.

Effectivly the GPL says:
* You can run this software and modify it how you like regardless
  of if you want to accept the GPL or not.
* Whoever supplied you with this software must provide you with all
  of the relevent program source code at no more than cost to them.
* Your supplier cannot impose any restrictions on what you can do
  with this program. (If they try to then *they* have done something
  they should not have done. But the only thing that might happen is
  that you could be asked to be a witness to your supplier's wrongdoing.)

* If you choose to distribute this program to a third party then you
  a) Make available at cost the source code to whoever you distribute
     it to.
  b) Ensure that any parts of the program source which you have changed
     are clearly indicated as your changes.
  c) Include a copy of the GPL and make it clear that they have exactly
     the same abilities to use the program as they see fit as you do.

If more people actually read, and understood, the kind of
licences which can come with proprietary software (some of which come
with some very nasty terms and conditions) then things might be very
different.