From: Jon Lawrence [mailto:jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 June 2003 08:46
To: dclug
Subject: Re: [LUG] Lib Dem MP view on needs for public sector IT support

Okay,
My this makes a change, a politician talking sense.
Have they ever come across a small company called IBM I wonder.
Few companies are in a position to be able to carry out a public sector
roll out, mainly 'cos the public sector (in fact include government
depts aswell) have a nasty habit of changing the goal posts half way
through any project, thus smaller companies won't go near.

The likes of IBM, SUN, HP, are well positioned to offer the hand holding
required.

The fact the the 'public sector' need hand holding has absolutely naff
all to do with 'consumer ignorance', the public sector and consumers are
two totally separate market places.

If they want to get Linux - or in fact anything other than Windows -
into the public sector, then it is the IT departments/procurement that
needs to be sorted out. Linux Admins are still pretty rare out in the
real world (compared to Windows admins) so we still command a pretty
good salary package, one which the public sector appears to be unwilling
to pay. The OS may be free (or damn well close to free) but the people
with the skills to implement it aren't.
So the main reason that the 'public sector' (in the main) hasn't
migrated away from Windows is simply that that is where their skills
base lies, retraining takes time and money - and if there isn't pressure
put on the management then this time and money doesn't become available.

To sum up, the professional support is available - just as it always has
been with Unix - from the big boys. All the 'Public sector' bosses have
to do is ask, and then provide the dosh.

Regards,
Jon

http://www.star.net.uk