Re: [LUG] debian users help me....

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Michael Chidley wrote:

> i`ve got hold of some CD`s of Debian "woody" 3.0r1 and am trying to get it up
> an running on a spare partition. But can`t seem to get X working as yet....
>
> I have a Nvidia Geforce 4MX card. here is the output from the X log.
> [...]
> I notice Geforce 4 is not in the list.....do i need a later driver...or is
> something else wrong? I am trying to start X using `startx` command
> (suprisingly).

(This is guesswork from a quick Google and looking at some of the stuff
sitting in my apt caches....)

If you want accelerated graphics, then you probably need at least XFree86
4.3.0.  A couple of lines from the xserver-xfree86 package from a
non-official apt source say:
  ``the 'nv' nVidia driver now works with GeForce4 cards''
So if you're feeling brave (it'll probably want to pull down lots of
dependencies to get everything synchronised) you might want to add

deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/debconf/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xft/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/libpng/i386/ ./

to your /etc/apt/sources.list.   (Indeed, this is the only way I got an
i830m chipset doing accelerated graphics....)

An alternative is to use the non-free NVidia drivers: follow the links
from http://www.nvidia.com/ (not too painful: I did that for a much older
card).

Finally, if you don't care about accelerated graphics, just try the `vesa'
driver instead of the `nv' one.

HTH,

Phil.