Re: [LUG] Faking http headers

email to NatWest and their (inadequate) response. Cheers! Peter.

Me:
I've used nwolb using Win98SE and IE6 but have been wanting to change over
to Linux (Mandrake 9) with web browsers such as Konqueror and Mozilla. Why
are these not supported? It can't be a security issue as most people using
IE are unlikely to be downloading the latest security patches. Is it
laziness on the part of the code writers? Do they assume that even all Win
users use IE? The Netscape option is only older versions - may be
difficult to get hold of (Mozilla is based on Netscape but doesn't work).
Please tell me why and that you are working to support other perfectly
good browsers.

Them:
Thank you for your message received via our website. I hope that the
following will clarify the issues raised relating to the discrepancies
between computer operating systems.

When developing our Internet service, NatWest Online technicians were fully
aware of the existing variety of industry-supplied browsers, wide range of
Internet Service Providers and array of operating systems available in the
public domain. As full technical support could not be given to this plethora
of options, the decision was taken to sustain the most commonly used
products.

I can inform you that we support the following browsers and operating
systems:

PC Users:

*       Microsoft® Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP or NT4.0
*       28.8Kbps modem (although at least 56Kbps recommended)
*       Version 4.01 - 6 of Microsoft® Internet Explorer or NetscapeTM
NavigatorTM 4.08- 4.78 inclusive.

MAC Users:

*       OS 8.1 or above
*       28.8Kbps modem (although at least 56Kbps recommended)
*       Version 4.01 - 5.2 of Microsoft® Internet Explorer or NetscapeTM
NavigatorTM 4.08- 4.78 inclusive.

We are working towards further browser compatibility for the NatWest Online
Banking service, and the comments that you have made have been taken forward
to form part of our discussions for future enhancements to the service. I
would like to assure you that we are committed to providing a first class
Internet banking service and we continually review all aspects of the
service.