Re: [LUG] Kmail threading

On Friday 09 May 2003 4:41 pm, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> On Friday 09 May 2003 5:05 pm, dan prisk wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone could explain how Kmail threads messages so it
> > might be possible for me to request these people stop doing whatever they
> > are doing!

1. Keeping separate threads apart:
Make a request to people to not use a reply to an existing message to start a
new discussion. If it's a new topic or at all unrelated to the previous
thread, start a NEW message. In KMail it is easy to setup a folder just for
the mailing list and if you are in that folder and start a new message, the
To: address can be added automatically.

So please, everyone, if it is a new thread, new discussion or just a new
direction to an existing thread, use a NEW message. Ta.

2. Keeping an individual thread intact:
The second part is less straightforward. To maintain a thread, members must
have a relevant message with intact headers to use as the basis of the reply.
That's fine if you only have one client on one machine. However, people may
use more than one mail client or, like me, more than 1 distro (7 at present -
would be 8 but I still haven't got KDE repaired in Debian). I really should
get around to using an old PC already on the network as a mail server and
reading mail using IMAP over the local LAN from there. (Any recommendations?)
Then I would always have all the messages in any mail client on all distros.
As it is, I have mail spread across multiple distros on multiple machines.
KMail changed the method of storing mail folders at version 1.5 so it isn't
easy to combine the folders (I can import messages but it's long winded and
unsuitable for continuous use). The net result is that I simply don't have
the message to reply to unless I reply at the time of receipt. Most of the
time this works, but sometimes I want to add a comment to a previous
discussion (as with sttechnology) and the message may be on a different
system. Forwarding the message from one machine to another changes the
headers.

In order for threading to work (in any mail client), you must have a complete
list of messages. There is no reason why people should be expected to reply
to only the most recent post so many threads fork into multiple sub-threads.
If you delete a message in one of the forks, subsequent messages referring to
the deleted message will (and should) be shown outside the thread - the
message cannot be attached.

> > A browse through the Kmail manual and site doesn't seem to
> > tell me anything about this...

KMail follows the standard way of threading messages and doesn't include it in
the manual because it isn't specific to KMail.

> It uses the "References" and "In-Reply-To" headers that mail clients insert
> when replying to a message, iirc.

As Theo says, this is the standard approach as implemented by KMail and is the
same as the web archive.

As such, there is little you can do to force a message to become attached to
the relevant thread in the client. The only method would be to forward a
message using a relevant message in the thread to a PRIVATE email account (no
bouncing off the list please!) and include the text from the stray message
before sending and then receiving. I doubt it would be worth it!

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/