Re: [LUG] suse 8.2

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:50:38 +0000, Keith Lawford wrote:
> One more question. The print quality when I use Linux is mucher poorer
> than when I use windows. I have tried to get cups to work but nothing
> happens. My printer is an acient HP deskjet portable.

I too have found it very difficult to get my parent's HP printer working
satisfactorily.

I know about, and have tried:
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

But it does not beat the Windows drivers for ease of use. (Well I am
using Debian)

My conclusion is that if you buy a printer in future, make sure it is
simply postscript compatible. As ever, OSS rides on standards. Their
driver is "freely" licensed, but still the communication is not quite
postscript, and hence a hassle for me to setup.

Maybe you will have better luck with it with a new version of SuSE,
judging by distributions with hpijs support page:
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/distributionsupport.htm

-Kai