Re: [LUG] What is spam? was - test.no reply needed.

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Ray Smith wrote:

> My definition of spam would be advertising unwanted services or products that
> are unasked for to untargeted people, i.e. harvested from newsgroups etc and
> added to a mass market list.

Spam = unwanted email.

> As I have seen similar posts in this group before to test setting up of
> ipchains etc with older kernels I see no harm in my previous post.

Not trying to specifically get at you, just at anybody who feels the need
to use a mailing list as a test email address. Just because someone else
does something, doesn't make it ok.

> Sending to the list in particular would have served me a valuable pointer we
> all need to be subscribed to post so if it hasn't got through I know the only
> reason would be I has set something up wrong and I could have then asked for
> advice.

And how exactly would you have been able to ask for advice if your email
wasn't getting through in the first place?

Its exaclty the sort of thing that can be achieved with a free webmail
account from one of the many suppliers, which can also be used to check
your own email setup.

~Mark