Re: [LUG] Trying to install Debian (Sarge)

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 16:14 +0300, Kai Hendry wrote:

> I don't have any experience with the netinst.
>
> I recommend just download CD1 of a release.
> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-cd/3.0_r1/i386/debian-30r1-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso
>
> Get a basic system, update your /etc/apt/sources.list and dist-upgrade
> from there.

If you install Woody from CD (cost, about £3), upgrading to Sarge ought
to be easy if you follow these instructions exactly:

<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html>

I did this recently, simply pasting the commands into an Xterm, without
any problems. I now have an even more beautiful Debian installation than
the one I had before. (Yay! I've got Mutt 1.5 instead of 1.3!)

With any luck KDE 3.x will make it into Sarge soon, and all you'll need
to do to get it will be to type a couple of apt-get commands. I *love*
the way Debian upgrades work.

> -Happy unstable user

I've gained almost enough confidence to try Sid, but not quite.

--
PJR :-)
mutt + slrn + vim + fluxbox + xmahjongg = heaven