Re: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

Brough, Tom wrote:
> These are just some of my thoughts on the subject of X

> Even to myself it seems a poor show if you need to download source,
compile
> your own kernel and additional drivers in order to get a GUI interface. Is
> it just me, or are we complacent people who tell others to go and Read The
> Manual or say "well it works ok on my machine" ?

It isn't just you.

Xfree86 is pretty smart now(!) if you use it's own configuration tools,
but it is the hardest part of getting a working Linux box if your
graphics driver is not well supported.

I have three PC's with Linux and modern distros all recognise and
configure the graphics hardware correctly on all but my laptop (where I
have to manually disable the ATI acceleration).

Using older distro's is asking for trouble in this area.

> Is there anything we can do to make X "smarter" ?

Okay I will add "debug the ATI driver" to my to-do list, as I think
acceleration will be good for the xanim, but these things are complex to
code/debug, and it is hard for 3rd party coders to test changes across
all ATI hardware.

Yes, but do it through XFree86 http://www.xfree86.org/ .

> Is it time to admit that X configuration is a serious problem that (while
> improving) needs to be resolved ?

I don't think it is that serious a problem these days. The newest
graphics cards, and the minority graphics cards (without manufacturer
support) are usually the problem.

Many problems are known to the Xfree86 team, and you should read the
notes for the cards manufacturer if you get stuck.

> I only ask these questions because while I know that linux is not just
about
> GUI interfaces, to many users thats what they want, without any fuss.

It was more an an issue in the past, definitely only a minority of PC's
are an issue these days, and I haven't ever had to recompile the kernel
for a graphics driver.

So yes it is an occasisonal pain, but might be worth checking how you
are trying to troubleshoot the problems. For ordinary business use you
can usually bypass the fancy drivers with generic VGA / frame buffer
support or whatever, it is mostly the games and video that demand a bit
more from the drivers.