Re: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 2:19 pm, Brough, Tom wrote:
> However these users have had problems which have required them to download
> and compile drivers, or have exhausted all their efforts / options in terms
> of configuration. Some of these user, while new to linux are very
> "technically minded". I am very curious to know if other members of the

And probably wanting to push their video cards to the limit too. What people
forget is that the more powerful cards are designed only with Windows drivers
- Linux developers have to try and figure out the details later.

> Unfortunately we live in a world where if it aint pretty it wont sell

A sweeping generalisation that doesn't do justice to where Linux is now.

> do to make X "smarter" ? Do we need to lobby Graphics Cards Manufacturers ?

YES. Without access for Linux developers to the NEXT generation cards, only
Windows drivers will be supplied. Network cards and related hardware now come
with at least 'Linux compatible' on it, why shouldn't video cards and PCI
modems be next?

> Is it time to admit that X configuration is a serious problem that (while
> improving) needs to be resolved ?

The problem is only partially down to X itself. Most of the problems arise
from new cards being designed and sold without access from Linux developers.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/