Re: [LUG] Re: Meeting

On Saturday 29 Mar 2003 5:18 am, Simon Waters wrote:
> David Johnson wrote:
> > So how did the meeting go?
>
> I'd like some feedback as well.

But no bananas?
:-)
(Simon realised that some people would be coming straight from work and
wouldn't have time to eat so he brought a bunch of bananas - just bananas.
How many did you have left at the end, Simon?)

> Everything planned happened (except there wasn't much interest in the
> key signing... we were a little short on regulars!).

There were only 4 people I recognised until Rick and Neil S. arrived. The lack
of a HKP connection through the proxy was an unexpected hitch too. Still, we
did get some done.

> Rick and Neil S. must have got lost, or gone to the music concert first,
> as they managed to turn up long after the people (me, and the students
> taking tickets for said music concert) giving directions to the
> classroom had gone.

To be fair, Neil S. did tell me he'd come straight from work after a BOFH day.

> About 20 people in all I think, I didn't count, a few arrived late
> (maybe 7:00 is too early?),

It's all about location - if the start gets later, people from further away
won't want to stay to the end, as it was I didn't get home until 11:15pm.

> We overran a little, despite me stamping on a couple of interesting
> discussions (sorry guys) to try and get things wrapped up at St Peters'
> by 9.

9? The Freeduc talk didn't start until 8:55pm! We were lucky to get out by
10pm.

> At a net cost of 10 GBP to DCLUG, I think it was a good evening.

Very worthwhile - just sorry it was far too late to join you in the pub
afterwards.

> I still think a regular venue, and regular meetings would help.

Probably more than one venue - if evening meetings are going to work. I think
Sunday meetings are manageable almost anywhere in the region, especially if
we can use two rooms - one for presentations and one for hands-on help and
discussion. What about smaller meetings in the homes of members with
ISDN/broadband connections? These could be arranged across the whole region,
from Penzance to Barnstaple. If I get my router to accept HKP, I can do a
small meeting (<8) in Plymouth.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk