[LUG] NTP (not on linux, so a bit OT)

I've got two machines on a network, one is a Solaris 8 box running xntpd
as an ntp server.  There's no external time checking going on, I just need
to get these boxes to sync togeether.

The other is an IRIX 6.4 (yes, very old) running a new compile of ntpd
4.1.1 running as a client

Now as far as I can tell the server is defaulting to stratum 16 because
it's just using it's local clock (which doesnt seem unreasonable), but
that's giving me a problem in that the client isn't taking the time
because the strata of the server is too high..

ntpdate -dq server produces:
ip.address.of.server: Server dropped: strata too high

And similarly, running the client ntpd in debug mode it's claiming bad
packets, I assume for the same reason:
packet: bad header 020

Google and the docs seem to be failing as to providing suggestions as to
what to do about it, so I'm open to offers...

Alex.