Re: [LUG] Closed to Open Source costs of development and offshore work.

From bill@xxxxxxxx

Contrary to popular belief the main cost is overheads much of which is to do with legislation. Our overhead costs are 35-40 per hour plus a salary and include the usual rent rates insurance plus costs of admin staff to try to keep pace with legislation. As a company secretary there are about 30 pages of new info per week you are expected to know and comply with.
Staff to run accounts, secretarial, and credit control. Plus training costs in the IT industry are expensive. Euither pay for courses or allow staff paid time to investigate.
I get at least 1 email a day inviting me to put our development offshore (there is a big article in this weeks Microscope discussing this issue)
I am dead against putting development offshore mainly because we have to support after and it is much better if the same staff write and support the system.
Make no mistake the quality of code produced is excellent.
Plus its common sense to put money back into the local economy. I pay staff they spend it and hopefully some of the companies they spend with will buy from us. I dont think many Russians or I others will buy from us in the future.
At least 1 major Taunton firm has however moved development overseas with the subsequent loss of local jobs and I am sure there are others. The reason quoted to me was not costs but employment legislation.

Bill

***** YLEM DISCLAIMER *****

To obtain a copy of Ylem's email disclaimer ring 01398 323146

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)