Re: [LUG] Unix file system folder limits

> On a purely pedantic note, I'm not sure there is as much difference
> between the two as you might imagine, except that databases often sit on
> filesystems, which may reduce their reliability to less than that of the
> filesystems they use.

I remember Oracle 8 used its FS where possible on Linux. I think that
Oracle will use its own partition where available and implement its own
I/O.

Bear in mind that any decent database server will usually load most of its
indexs and large result caches into main memory. This is why you usually
load a database server with plenty of ram so that it doesn't have to hit
the hard disk when creating tempory tables, etc.

regards,