Re: [LUG] Unix file system folder limits

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Robert Nowik wrote:

> Cheers guys for your response.
> Unfortunatly, I need static pages for search engine optimisation (my boss is
> adament that the site needs to be static).

You don't need static content for this !

Using apache and mod_perl you can map something like cgi.pl?arg=foo to
/cgi/arg/foo

easy and fast.

Search engines rely on GET requests so they follow any link that looks
like foo.html, foo.cgi, foo/arg1/?arg2=bar, etc.

> The site is built everynight from
> a postgres database. We are aniticpating having around 1million on the site
> (listed in the format 034525.html).

This would be much better kept in the database, and served from the
database, than from the filesystem most of the time. Filesystems can
become very unwieldy.

> I would prefer to keep the files in one
> folder but it is looking like I will have to find a method of splitting them
> into subdirectories. Is there a limit of sub directories that you can have
> in a directory? Is there a limit to the depth of folders you can have in the
> unix file system?

Have you thought of maybe mixing static and dynamic - some content can be
generated nightly and other content served from the database depending on
how often it is changed.