Re: [LUG] Local PHP-Nuke Advocacy

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:48:21 -0000, Brough, Tom wrote:
> We are in the midst of our formal tendering process for a Web Content
> Management System. We have a short list of candidates including PHP-Nuke.
> Since there is no "formal" company behind the product we would like to hear
> from anybody who feels qualified to advocate PHP-Nuke. The advocate ideally
> would have some business / consultancy or heavy end user involvement with
> the product and be willing to advocate free of charge.

Free of charge consulting. For free of charge software?
Not really fair.

> If anyone is interested in taking up this role, the process would require
> the completion of an initial questionnaire and may lead to a further set of

Couldn't they do the research themselves?

> more detailed questions. It is possible that we may request a demonstration
> of the product if it gets through to the "second round" and if someone is

The content management systems I have looked at and like are the python
ones. Those based on Zope or Twisted. In particular plone.
They have a video demo which is quite good here:
http://www2.state.hi.us/dags/icsd/content/video/higovdemo.avi

> willing to demonstrate its use this would be a bonus, however it should be
> noted that this would not guarantee any further formal (paid) consultancy
> would be requested from the advocate.

Oh, you might get paid maybe after all?

> Although I will not be involved in the tendering process, I have abstained
> from taking on this role in the interests of maintaining neutrality. However
> I would ask that if more than one member of dclug feels qualified for this
> role, that they should collaborate or agree on who will do the advocacy.

Neutral? I.e. sit on your ass? Come on, try things out.

> The timescale for this process is very limited, replies to the questionnaire
> will need to be submitted by 10th of March. Please discuss this freely
> amongst the group and let me know when you have agreed a single point of
> contact.

There are loads of *good* solutions out there. I think the
argument(between LUG members) will be largely about taste. I do not like
PHP/Perl for example, while others do.

Oh wait, you have already shortlist PHP-Nuke? Oh I read the mail
initially wrong. Oh well.

Regards,
-Kai Hendry