Re: [LUG] OK, I've got a Debian machine

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:41:39 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> i.e.
> Add Debian stable entries to sources list
> apt-get update

dselect update

Doing "apt-get update" command does not update dselect. So using dselect
after an apt-get update can be ... problematic from my experience.

> apt-get upgrade

I run unstable, and prefer:
apt-get -u dist-upgrade
-u warns about what packages it is removing. Good to know, as every once
and a while a new package causes a strange chain of events whereby it
decides to rip out a large part of your system. For me, it was KDE only
a couple of months ago. :)

> Repeat these two until no patches are pending
> vi|nano sources file to remove CD

Yes I advise editing sources.list by hand.

I do not advise using unofficial .debs. They do not have the quality of
Debian official packages.

Regards,
-Kai Hendry