Re: [LUG] htdig searching

On 21.02.2003 12:52 Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi,
I am running a large website that is uses htdig for searching. The site is based on static pages and is uploaded every month. Rundig is run when this upload is done. After this rundig build, searches are lightning fast, but a few days after running this, the speed of searching slows rapidly. Any idea why this is? Please note, the server this is running on, has two versions of htdig installed by mistake (one of these is reduntant).

Is this due to the quality of the pre built search database deterorating with time (as unfrequently searched words are relegated) or is this an installation problem? Please help.

Cheers

You are running htdig and htmerge?
How often?
It look like you only run it when thestatic site changes.
If this is the case then the files are static and you should see no degregation in searching.

A simple test would be to reindex every few days and see if that helps.

I don't think htdig isthat clever in relegation.

I run htdig and htmerge every 12 hours, I don't seem to get a problem.

How many users would be using it, what sort of machine and how much data?

 --
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\