Re: [LUG] Poorly penguins

Neil Williams wrote:

On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 6:50 pm, David Johnson wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

Does anyone here use ISDN? Can you use a router directly onto ISDN and run
the LAN over ethernet from there - rather than having to connect the ISDN
line to a PC first?

You certainly can. I find that the time taken to dialup is significantly
faster with a router as well (<1 s).

Excellent. What I'd forgotten about ISDN is that you still makes calls - it isn't always on - and those calls are still metered albeit with an optional call allowance.

56k to ISDN is certainly a worthwhile upgrade in my experience (despite
often costing more than ADSL).

31/mth + calls. Ouch. Is BT the only supplier and is it worth going for the 45/mth option with 60/mth call allowance? Which ISP do you use?

I use Demon. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. For a start,
support is excellent (and not a premium rate number), they do SMTP
forwarding and there is no cut-off. I only have off-peak access, but we
can easily stay dialed up from Friday night through to Monday morning
without interruption.

Have a look at http://www.demon.net/products/access/premier-standard.shtml.

Their off-peak works out at about £18.75 per month inc vat, but that
doesn't include your ISDN line rental.

Single channel ISDN is still faster than analogue modem though? No? It's been awhile since I looked at ISDN and the BT site isn't exactly verbose. In real usage, how much faster would you rate 64k ISDN over 56k modem? (Bear in mind that my current ISP isn't amongst the slickest performers over 56k.)

Well, I used to get about 3.5 Kbp/s with normal modem (on a good day) and can now get around 7 Kbp/s with single channel. It's definitely nice, but it's annoying to have the extra bandwidth but not be able to use it :-(

David.

--
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
being able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.