Re: [LUG] Poorly penguins

Neil Williams wrote:

Does anyone here use ISDN? Can you use a router directly onto ISDN and run the LAN over ethernet from there - rather than having to connect the ISDN line to a PC first?

You certainly can. I find that the time taken to dialup is significantly faster with a router as well (<1 s).

Does anyone know if ISDN is more tolerant of line noise than ADSL - - I'd expect it to be so but whether ISDN can cope when 56k can't is more contentious. It doesn't look like I'll get broadband any time soon so I'm getting desperate.

I know how that feels :-)
I'd imagine that line noise effects of ISDN and ADSL are identical, as they're both digital transmission methods.

56k to ISDN is certainly a worthwhile upgrade in my experience (despite often costing more than ADSL).

Interestingly, our line got significantly better on the day we ordered ISDN. Could just be me being paranoid, but we suddenly got an extra 1Kbp/s (with the same 56k dialup equipment on our original line)....

David.

--
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only being able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.