Re: [LUG] ISDN was: Poorly penguins

On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 9:55 pm, David Johnson wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 6:50 pm, David Johnson wrote:
> >>Neil Williams wrote:

> >31/mth + calls. Ouch. Is BT the only supplier and is it worth going for
> > the 45/mth option with 60/mth call allowance? Which ISP do you use?
>
> I use Demon. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. For a start,
> support is excellent (and not a premium rate number), they do SMTP
> forwarding and there is no cut-off. I only have off-peak access, but we
> can easily stay dialed up from Friday night through to Monday morning
> without interruption.
>
> Have a look at http://www.demon.net/products/access/premier-standard.shtml.
>
> Their off-peak works out at about £18.75 per month inc vat, but that
> doesn't include your ISDN line rental.

How much is that? £31/mth on the BT site for no call allowance.

> nice, but it's annoying to have the extra bandwidth but not be able to
> use it :-(

According to the site, you could use it if you paid for the calls instead of
using SurfTime - sounds like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
0.6p per minute evenings and nights (Mon - Fri, 6pm - midnight, midnight -
8am)
0.5p per minute weekends (midnight Friday - midnight Sunday)

SurfTime - £7/mth = 1400 minutes at weekends = 23hrs. Using both channels, you
would be limited to 12hrs a month before you were losing money again. I can
see why you are on SurfTime - don't be quite so upset about the bandwidth -
you might have it available but it'll cost you an arm and a leg to access it!

Thereagain, if you paid £45/mth with no SurfTime you'd have a £60/mth call
allowance for an extra £14. That would give you 100hours a month at DUAL
channel speed free of charge per month (1p/min at dual rate = 6,000 minutes
for £60), PLUS the extra £7/mth you wouldn't be paying - another 14hrs. Did
you think about it that way? (Still a hefty price tag compared to ADSL -
thanks BT.)
http://www.bt.co.uk/isdn/isdn2e/price_info/price_options.htm
(You might need to register with BT to see it).
Total price per month: £56.75 for 114hrs at dual channel, 228 at single
channel.

I've just re-ordered the lowest spec RADSL from eclipse, (£110 setup +
£22.75/mth, equivalent to £32.08/mth for the 12mth contract) just to prove
that the lowest possible rate is still impossible (according to BT). Only
when they turn me down for that (which they 99% likely will) does ISDN become
an option - at more than double the price - setup of ISDN is £200 from BT.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
http://www.dclug.org.uk