Re: [LUG] Re: ISPs, SMTP and Mail, and the future

On Saturday 08 February 2003 17:55, you wrote:

> The two systems would have to run in parallel.

X.400

> If the new system proves successful in real-life use, scales
> OK, and achieves its aim to the point where spammers can no
> longer abuse the system, then people will eventually close off
> SMTP and migration will be complete.

It didn't.  They didn't.  The NHS is abandoning it.  Nobody
mourns.

> I hate to say this, but the biggest and best ally we could
> have in making this happen is in Redmond.  But I suspect
> they'd be on-side for the principle of this, though the cost
> would be doing it on their terms.

Most NHS implementations of X.400 email systems are in MS
Exchange Server.
Few worked well.
OTOH I have seen and used a rock-solid implementation of a
corporate infomration system based on MS ES...

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/