Re: [LUG] Web Server

Dave Court wrote:

Theo

In my opinion you have knocked the nail on the head and have my total
support and agreement.

Kev, you can't compare the likes of PHP with ASP.NET as ASP.NET is a
compiled language and not in the dark ages of scripting languages.
Having been a classic ASP scripter for many years, the discovery of
being able to go back to a "proper" language (ASP.NET) was a god sent
for me!!! The speed and detail in which I can write thin client software
now is incredible compared with the amount of time and effort it took
with PHP and ASP.

what platform is the thin client - browser, terminal server?

i take on board the comments RE ASP.NET from yourself and theo - we are still using ASP and my company is slow to move to .NET cos of the cost - but i will check out the stuff that theo put in his email.

BTW - have you checked out zope?

From a personal point of view, I believe the true winners in software/IT
will be those who have an open vision of the future. I find it very hard
to take people seriously who mock Microsoft and are prepared to rubbish
everything they do. Yes their ethics are far from the best, but how is
this any different from the majority of other major corporations.

i do not rubbish everything MS do just because they are MS - that would be fanatical (i.e. closed mind). unfortunately, bill gates is known to not want his software to integrate with other platforms - and his hostility towards OSS is well known. for instance, ISA (the web proxy server) will only work with IE browsers.

Unfortunately those of us in the realistic business world will have to
accept that open source and Microsoft will meet and surprising as it may
be to a number of people, the combination might actually be good! It is
those who bury their heads in the sand and ignore the facts, will be the
ones who get left behind.

from years of programming in UNIX/linux and MS i can say from experience that the OS and MS do not mix well. put it this way - if you are using PHP it is best to have it on linux/apache and not some port of PHP which runs on windows/IIS. similarly, if you want to use ASP then use IIS and not chilisoft/apache.

Theo - thanks very much for your advice, it was extremely helpful and
open minded. I am very excited about moving onto a Linux platform, but I
guess it does not look like the time is quite right for me. I will enjoy

gaining further knowledge about Linux however until those great
innovators who develop open source systems come up with a solution for
me.

we have done the work! - there are operating systems, compilers, server apps, utilies, comms apps enough for just about any use. theo is using this MONO stuff now.

software is constantly evolving and so what criteria are you waiting for which says that now is the time to use it?

and, when you develop on an OS platform you will realise how much quicker and more efficient it is to use. there are multitudes of reasons - OS stability, development community cooperation, debians package management, free cost, gradual upgrade path, lower hardware requirements, security, security, security, etc etc etc MS stuff just does not compare - we spend so much time trying to get MS stuff to do what it SAYS it should.

get a spare box, get a distro CD, get MONO installed and then get *involved*. then by using it, figuring it out, getting involved with the newsgroups and mailing lists you will be contributing as well. go on - we are ALL part of this,

kev

Thank you all for your advice