Re: [LUG] Web Server

Dave Court wrote:
Apologies if this message is coming through for the second time, my registration did not complete properly the first time round.

Hi

I am wanting to set up a Linux web server to run a number of websites on. I

don’t however really know where to start and have a small bomb to also

drop………I want to use asp.net (using vb.net).

I have tried to read a lot of information on the Mono project but

can’t really get anywhere from a beginner (to Linux) point of view.

Would someone be able to start me off by recommending a version of Linux

and a Linux web server (like Apache) which can get me started with

running asp.net?

Thanks very much

Dave Court

thinks oO0(Why the hell would anyone want to use asp.net ??)

OK,

Depending on how happy you are with setting systems up and configuring things in a text based install I would recomment RedHat 8.0 for a graphical installer or Debian for a textual installer...

Personally i use Debian 3.0, it does everything I need it to do and then some.. has a very powerful package manager.

RedHat is much easier to get on with as a newcommer (i find) as most of if it point and click.. Package management is still quite good, but not up to the same level as Debians apt system. (sorry RH peeps)

Apache is the only web server i would use for linux, I know how to use it.. it is free and it works..

I (at a quick search) could not find any servers for linux that would support asp.net, you may have more luck than me on google...

HTH

Neil

P.S. Where are you ?