Re: [LUG] Mulithomed server - how?

On Friday, Jan 17, 2003, at 23:15 Europe/London, John Horne wrote:
I've been asked at work to set up a couple of redhat 8 servers which
have 2 NIC's per server. The idea is to use both NIC's on each server at
the same time as a form of load-balancing and resilience. If one nic
fails then the other one is still live.

Under other OSes (read: Solaris), this is known as IPMP, or IP MultiPathing. The essential idea is that if one NIC fails (or if the swtich the NIC is connected to fails), then the other NIC fails. It's very easy to configure under Solaris and it gives lots of warm fuzzies when you see a log message saying that qfe5 has failed and qfe0 has taken the virtual address over :)

Now, whether there is any Linux software that can do this, I don't know. Sadly I've not been able to find anything after some fairly extensive searches with Google.

Something else you could try is VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol). This is designed for failover between two machines, not between 2 NICs on the same machine, and for this reason it operates by sending Hello messages across the wire - after N missed 'Hellos' in X seconds, it deduces the primary machine is down and takes over it's IP address - sometimes even gratuitiously ARPing the virtual address to ensure that switch CAM tables have been updated correctly. You *may* be able to bodge this to work with a single machine/2 NICs.

http://w3.arobas.net/~jetienne/vrrpd/index.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kvrrpd/
Also try googling for FreeVRRP - I have a feeling this is *BSD-only though.

Cheers,
Jon.

--
Jon Still                               E-mail: jon@xxxxxxxxxxx