[LUG] Mulithomed server - how?

Hello,

I've been asked at work to set up a couple of redhat 8 servers which
have 2 NIC's per server. The idea is to use both NIC's on each server at
the same time as a form of load-balancing and resilience. If one nic
fails then the other one is still live.

For each server each nic has a unique IP address, all of which are
visible on the Internet  - i.e. they're not private addresses. They both
belong to the same subnet and have the same (single) gateway.

Ther problem is how to configure this?? At startup both nic's are seen
but the routing table only shows one. If I add a static route for the
gateway using the missing nic, and a default to the gateway using that
nic, then I can get access to/from the server. However, ifconfig seems
to indicate that most traffic goes to/from one nic far more often that
the other nic. Also each server cannot ping the other one, despite the
fact that they are on the same subnet.

Has anyone done anything like this? I can find very little about it from
the 'net. I asked on the rh list and have had no replies. It seems that
most people use multiple nic's for NAT mainly (one side with private
addresses, the other on the Internet) rather than resilience or
load-balancing/performance.

Many thanks,

John.