Re: [LUG] Computer recomendations

What a load of rubbish !!
Kids will pick up both easily and we will then not have a monopply system. It has been proved in New Zealand that kids brought up speaking japanese and english learn both just as well. Surely using slightly different interfaces will not phase them.
from bill@xxxxxxxx

Alex Stanley wrote:
Much as I don't want to start an argument, I don't think that having a
dual boot pc for kids of such a young age is necessarily a good idea.

I appreciate that this is a Linux User Group and that promotion of Linux
is a good and necessary thing, but you have to consider the kids in this
instance - if they are using Windows at school and then they come home
to be presented with a Lilo or Grub prompt, a Windows interface AND an
Xwindows interface, they're just going to get confused - I can imagine
them saying "it doesn't look like this in school" and losing interest
altogether.

Interesting them in Linux is good, but not when one's in Year 5 and
one's in Year 2...

Just my own opinion :)

Alex.

Paul said:

Any ideas, / thoughts welcome,  this could be an opportunity
to get someone
into Linux, and not into MS software, but I think we must
not let our lover
of Linux and hate of Windows get in they way of judgement.

Paul