Re: [LUG] clustering

I have carried out similar exercises with many different operating systems but not on Linux. However Unix is similar and we found it invaluable.
There is a performance overhead and you need to look at network infrastructure if you are not going to get into a nightmare.
It is worth it if we all took that veiw we wouldnt use RAID and every server we install has RAID. It has saved many customers data.
Like all technology however it is not the sort of exercise which is cheap or which can be carried out by unskilled or semi skilled staff and training and support are expensive to buy.
A typical customer of ours who use this technology would be a retailer who need the systems running to operate tills etc. Failover systems would be a prime requirement.
So the answer is yes its worth it if your system being down or loosing data would cost you money.
from bill@xxxxxxxx