[LUG] Help the Aged

Neil Williams wrote:-
That may be just a permissions prob. go su and enter chmod a+x /dev/dsp
Dear Neil,
Did that got:-" chmod: failed to get attributes of `/dev/dsp' no such file or directory"

Can assume now not a permissions prob.?

also went via " look & feel, system notifications et. play sound. got same response.

Thanks for the point to correct number lock have done. Now OK.
I should perhaps have mentioned that when I was running RH 7.2 sound was working ok. so problem I think
logically must relate to some failure in the Mandrake 9. install. Is it feasible these sound items were missed on the cd??

Anyway enough for today wife and self have been away for weekend visiting grandchildren and only just returned after unpleasant drive back from Warfield in dire weather conditions.

I must apologise to the other people who made suggestions for not coming back earlier but left very early on Saturday morning. Thanks for your efforts on my behalf, and super quick response.

Bfn Philip