Re: [LUG] Help the aged

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Saturday 28 December 2002 13:35, you wrote:

I'm suffering from a strange video driver I think - the chipset is SIS - and I get what seems to be a stable system with no X on it, then I can't get a working X install.

SIS is listed in the video drivers...

Now there are things I can do with a box with no X on it, but that isn't atually the box I'd want to do them on.

Hi Adrian

Now I had exactly this problem, my botched up 400 K6 has an SIS Card in it, RH 7.3 auto detected no worries, but testing always failed, I tried loads of self configs, I loaded RH 7.1 Known to be working and checked out the Vert, Hriz Sync, refresh etc. Reload 7.3 and setup the configuration the same still no joy, I came to the conclusion the the newer version of Xfree was the cause (Not confirmed, just assumed) in the end I figured I would do without 7.3 and KDE 3 so still run RH 7.1 on that machine. So I can't give you a fix, but i guess this confirms a similar problem

Thanks Rick