Fwd: Re: [LUG] first e-mail from Linux

Subject: Re: [LUG] first e-mail from Linux
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:59:28 +0000
From: jon davey <jondavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thursday 19 Dec 2002 6:32 pm, Alex Charrett wrote:
On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 23:32, Rick Timmis wrote:
jon davey wrote:

Hi, all.  This is my first mail from Mandrake, thought that had to be
listworthy.  I'm damned if I can install softwear from cd though.  I need
package manager...don't I.
Jon Davey

Get a coffee, and some chocolate sit down click the Xterm icon and type
man rpm, read from top to bottom. and you won;t need a package manager
any more

Rick.

rpm is a package manager, as it dpkg etc.  Hence rpm standing for "Red
Hat Package Manager"

Alex.

I've had a look over the man page but found it difficult as I'm not familiar
with the syntax/format whateveryoucallit. eg if I was trying to explain
something here using commands opened and closed with ['s but also enclosed
command examples in ['s it may be a little confusing as to which were part of
what. I think I might print out the rpm man page.
    Take no notice of my clock BTW.

Did I mention that it's not stuff that was bundled with the instillation disks
that I want to install but gzip+lame etc that I've downloaded........?