Re: [LUG] first e-mail from Linux

Using Man pages can be confusing and unclear at times. Usually a good place to start is to use apropos to find out what man data there is for a command. Often you will see the command name follow by a bracketed number. This indicates what section of man it is in and relates to Docs, Programming, Using etc..

Man pages are concise, and expect you to understand the syntax. When I start using Linux, people used to say things like man rpm. I used to reply "What F'ing use it that if I don't understand it , I suppose your going to say man man!"

The approach I took in the end was open up the man page in one term, open up another term an start typing commands from the man pages. This can be a great challenge. if you are logged in as root you can time how long it takes to destroy your system!

Do this from a user and it'll be ok.

Have Fun

Cheers Rick