[LUG] linux thin client, for Linux user group

The CodeWeaver Wine CrossOver Office code is now getting to a very
usable level.

       http://www.codeweavers.com

In 2003 they are hoping on supporting:

   Office XP
   Access
   Adobe Photoshop
   Windows Media Player 9
   "Sandbox" mode - run many versions of IE on one box
   Dreamweaver
   Director MX
   Autocad
   Corel WordPerfect Office
   Corel Draw
   Quickbooks
   TurboTax
   ...and many more

So then combine the power of X and remote login ( xdm/kdm ) and LTSP
Diskless Thin Clients for a completely centralised system.

You could run a design / GP office without the noise and without the
support hassles.
Get some super stable Server Hardware with Loads of power ( Dual Xeons
or Dual AthlonMP's ) and eliminate the office politics of who gets a new
faster PC next! A upgrade for the server benefits all. Fantastic.

If there is occasional need for native Windows ( i.e. when CrossOver
Office can't run it ) You keep one Win2000 Workstation running with
VNCServer Running.

My interest this this stuff has been brought on by over 10 years of
sitting next to machines that constantly whistle at me :)

I'm also sys admin for a web design studio where I'm trying to embrace
future technologies for workstations. Employees have got away with too
much. Work PC's are for work( Why should an employee be able to run that
Click_ME.exe email attachment! It's asking for trouble )

I'd say that in this day and age, thin clients are too, well to thin.
Diskless workstations under X have the advantage that all GUI related
activity is handled by the client and all system/thinking is handled by
the server, but drives can be mounted onto the diskless workstation via
NFS. Backups become a dream. Say goodbye to Virus attacks or the worry
of Trojans.

Diskless workstations still have the power to think for themselves. They
can be setup however is required.

VNCviewer -> Linux VNC desktop. For people that don't require the speed
of XDM remote login. and who would appreciate the persistence of leaving
the desktop open even when they turn off their client.

XDM -> Linux Remote X Desktop. For the lowest latencies and the best
functionality.

Sorry for rambling

Laters,

Bill.