Re: [LUG] thin clients...

Kai Hendry wrote:

If a thin client can handle video, it should do that now shouldn't it? I
don't think we can really say a lot about thin clients (at least for
myself) until I have played with one.  Not many people use thin clients,
esp. the newer modern ones and whatever cool stuff they can do.

One of my client does lightweight CAD work in Citrix Winframe.

Okay the big stuff has HP-UX workstations, with rather expensive
graphics cards, but for 2D work a lot of it can be CPU
intensive, and doesn't need that much graphics by modern
standards.

I think the real gain for most people is thin client is admin
overhead not cost per client, although if it is cheaper no one
will complain.

Hey I worked with mainframes with really smart dumb terminals
(smart enough to record key strokes including the users
passwords ;-), I worked with Windows 3.11 stored on the servers
not the PC, and X terminals.

Thickness varies, the X terminals could display neat graphics
(well till the memory bit the dust), and stereo sound. Heck I
think if you have a PC standard image, burnt to each box and no
user configuration, your 90% of the way there.

What works for big business is leveraging administrators over
more boxes, sure 60 PC's are expensive, but you more than double
the cost if it requires another admin to help run them.

Ironically the old mainframes which had very thin client failed
to do this. It wasn't unusual to have a system team of 5 or 6
for 200 concurrent users, where as most PC shops manage that
many users with one or two IT bods. Okay the same team could
probably have done a system with 2000 users, but if you don't
have 2000 users.

Of course aggressive software licencing like Microsoft, can push
up the cost further, heck Rick's migration.

You know when you have done a good upgrade when support calls go
down on day one!