Re: [LUG] MySQL on Ext3

Bill Wilson wrote:

from bill@xxxxxxxx

IDE drives are fast but can't carry the load of SCSI disks. An
analogy is cars a porche is fast util you stick 10 ton in the
back Then a ten ton truck is quicker.
Use IDE for up to 4 users and SCSI above. As an example we
have customers using older style SCSI drives running at 20 Mb
/ sec 12 of them in a RAID 10 which support large data base
apps running up to 200 users.

There was a guy building IDE RAID arrays on uk.comp.os.linux (I
think), probably find the discussion on groups.google.com.

I'd always understood IDE couldn't hack big loads, but it has
been refined and at the time he made a reasonable case for the
price performance favouring IDE, at least for his purposes.

He got shouted down a lot, but clearly knew more about the
innards of ATA and such than most of his detractors. (Anyone who
can get more than 3 or 4 IDE devices working at the same time on
PC hardware earns my respect ;-)

I'd still take some convincing to build a big database on IDE
disks, but my mind isn't totally closed on the issue.

Heck I've seen enough Oracle databases running of one disk
servers to know not many people need the old fashioned
techniques to scale to moderate size.

Anyway worth a read if you can find it, at an idle moment.