[LUG] APACHE system resourse problems (I think)

Hi every one

I have written a CGI program in perl that I have setup as a script alias i.e.

ScriptAlias /users /xxxxx/e2h_main/users.pl

The purpose of this script is to grab pages off my MYSQL database.

i.e. http://www.joebloggs.com/users/example.htm

Here is my problem:

If example.htm has got lots of images e.g.

http://www.joebloggs.com/users/1.jpg
http://www.joebloggs.com/users/2.jpg
http://www.joebloggs.com/users/3.jpg

users.pl will be executed 3 times in quick sucession as each request for the images takes place.
when this happens for some bizarr reason the APACHE web server seems to take a long time to send the CGI generated data (upto about 10 seconds), then I wait for a little while and it is ok again.

This seem to be happening on my local area network so it is not a connection speed issue, I have done a ps -e and users.pl execute very quickly, so it seems that the passing on of the infomation is the problem.

System info:

Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_perl/1.24_01

Thanks for your help
(it is very much apreciated)

Regards

Jody Salt