Re: [LUG] MySQL on Ext3

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 23:11, Pete Hatton wrote:

Snip of JFS / Database interaction stats

What would be interesting to see how this compares on a proper server
setup, with lots of memory, fast SCSI hard discs etc - anyone got a nice
big setup?

I'd be surprised if this would change much.  With 9MB of data, even with free
text indexing I'd be surprised if the whole database didn't fit in memory.
Modern IDE drives are pretty much as fast as SCSI for most operations (where
SCSI really wins through is really that disks on the same string can seek in
parallel because of the concept of SCSI disconnect.) (OK - that's not exactly
true - some of my SCSI disks rotate at 15000 rpm, so *big* bulk copies may be
substantially faster, but then my newest IDE drived have 8MB caches, too.)

So - I think you're seeing a universal truth - journalling twice is not
efficient.

jd
--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK