Re: [LUG] Databases

Hi Neil

There are lots of options under Linux, but nothing that I can think of that meets the Access Paradox enviroments. However that said, GUI Based self develop Databases are not really the most efficient way to operate a DB. Sure they make things simpler for the programmer and allow users to chase a rodent around the desk. When you think of database activity 98% is data entry or retrieval. in this enviroment the keyboard is the best place for both hands to be. The majority of staff in an organisation will be entering or retrieving data in the main.

We use a Unify database running Mobius which was written in Unify's Accel 4GL and run it on KDE through XTERM. There is no mouse funtionality where Mobius is concerned (It is all done via Function Keys) From a data processing point of view this is far superior and efficient, with some of our staff the speed of data processing is frightening.

From a sales point of view the initial impact of a fully chromed GUI with buttons bells and whistles is good, but in the long term it is inefficient for the users and more intense on resource.

For development there are a number of possibilities, Qt offers DB interation, as does Kylix. postgreSQL has JDBC which can be used to connect to Java frontended Applications, postgreSQL also has a Limited TCL/TK Development enviroment and I believe a set of Perl DBI tools.

There are many more IDE of varying flexibilty for MySQL, Including PHP should you want to go down the Web Enabled Route.

I am personally interested in postgreSQL as this has more functionality than MySQL, that said MySQL is catching up very fast, and is also reported to be one of the fastest databases around.

Keep an eye on the list for input from Bill Wilson, Tom Glare or Stuart Henshall as they seem to be the database WizKids and can offer further advice on this subject.

Best Wishes
Rick

Neil Winchurst wrote:

I moved across to Linux quite a long time ago. I find that I can do most
things that I want on Linux with one notable exception. The one thing
missing from Linux is a good GUI database in the style of Paradox. At
least I have not yet found one.

I have written many databases for small companies in Paradox (on Windows
of course) and would like to move some of my clients across to Linux.
However until I can find a database in the style of Paradox (or dare I
mention Access??) I will not be able to do so.

Yes I have heard of mysql and postgresql but they are not complete in
that the GUI is not built in. Remember that I want to write a program
for people who are used to Windows and expect to use the mouse most of
the time.

Perhaps I have simply missed something. Any comments or suggestions
gratefully received.

Neil Winchurst