Re: [Fwd: Re: [LUG] Find & Replace across multiple files]

On Monday 02 December 2002  5:08 pm, you wrote:
If the files are all in one directory, use 'for file in *.html ...'

Viola!  It runs without errors with *.html - it just doesn't do anything!  I
fiddled with it a bit and now I seem to have the opposite problem - it seems
to match on almost everything!

Running sed on it's own to check the output, I'm currently using:

sed -e 's/[control-set]*[\/control-set]/[comment]control removed from
here[\/comment]/g' login.html

Which is obviously supposed to only remove the stuff between those tags, not
everything!

Owww, looks like I might have to just do it all manually after all... ;-(

I'm sorry to keep pestering you, I ought to be able to fix these problems
myself, but I'm a bit of a command-line newbie (a Child of Windows, now
becoming slowly converted to a Brother of Unix).

Takes time, and there's plenty to learn. If you get chance to read the
man pages for sed and find, best do so. A copy of 'Linux in a Nutshell'
will do you well.

I may well have to invest in a copy sometime, although I doubt I'd find time
to read it at the mo, life's suddenly got too hectic :-(

Cheers,

Jon