Re: [Fwd: Re: [LUG] Find & Replace across multiple files]

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

On Monday 02 December 2002  5:08 pm, you wrote:
If the files are all in one directory, use 'for file in *.html ...'

Viola!  It runs without errors with *.html - it just doesn't do anything!  I
fiddled with it a bit and now I seem to have the opposite problem - it seems
to match on almost everything!

At the risk of repeating myself the sed FAQ did tell you how to
do it in PERL ;-)

SED matches the longest match, which is probably your current
problem, assuming you have several tags per line.

PERL entended regular expressions will match the shortest length
with a "?" after the "*", I think sed may do this in some
versions or will do eventually or some such.

Any sed guru's?

Why are regular expressions so hard to use if you don't use them
every day? My brain never retains more than the basics.

Simon