[LUG] M4 as Open source ???

Hi List

May have another topic for discussion at the meet. I have been talking with Bill Wilson from Ylem with regard to the development of Mobius 4, the next release version of their Business DB Application. Many conversations have taken place around the Merits of OSS and GPL. Bill has tentatively suggested ( And no doubt there will be a rebuke from him for me releasing this to the list ) that Ylem could be interested in releasing Mobius 4 in Open Source and allowing the community to develop it. It would be interesting to have some views and discussion on the topic of Open Development and GPL / FSF software.

From a Linux in business point of view, the one real application that seems to be missing is a Global Business application. Sure Mobius 3 gives this, but the License charges for the Unify database are prohibitive. Once again more money going into the American Corporate coffers. Don't get me wrong I am not averse to paying for softare, I just don't like being held to Ransom.

Seems to me that If you write software, offer Service or Customisation Programming and there are real business benefits then those people or organisations that provide those services should be compensated for their work. At the same time you can't run a software tax.

I wonder whether there are any of us in the LUG that would be interested in getting involved in such a development project?

Perhaps Ylem would be interested in telling us more about the future of M4 ? ( I expect that'll be the Cat in with them Pigeons now ! )

I wonder whether this kind of project may be of some use to Adrian NHS Project ?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Rick