Re: [LUG] What's everyone doing ?

On Sunday 01 Dec 2002 12:24 am, John Daragon wrote:
This is a question I nicked from uk.business.agriculture (where the answers
are sort of seasonal ...) but which sometimes spins off tangentially.

I'm sitting in the office (I have no life) documenting some bugs in a
client's software suite and trying (unsuccessfully) to download a 122MB
Nokia Series 60 SDK over an Freeserve ISDN connection.

And looking at Kdevelop. Which seems to have a sense of humour when it
comes to make.

? make is the one thing that I rely on KDevelop doing - the only time I tried
to write my own make file, the program never compiled on any other system,
even one using the same distro and version. I use KDevelop for C++ yes. The
skeletons appear really useful (but there again, I'm no expert, I am
self-taught and probably have innumerable horrible/dangerous habits).

Anyone else out there develop software on Linux ? What do *you* use as a
development environment ?

I have used g++ from the command line when designing cross-platform standard
library engine functions, it is really fast for simple data manipulation /
number/string crunching with output to console etc. That engine worked first
time on KDE and Windows. (Borland C++).

I guess I've been spoiled by the usability of
MSVC, but I'm finding the move to Linux for development beyond cc a bit of
a struggle.

jd

I never liked the MS compilers for Windows code, I started with Borland and
quickly moved to the horrors of PASCAL to generate code that could be
compiled without needing >2MB of unnecessary DLL's or adding some 170kb to a
static linked program.

What I'm still confused about is adapting to KDE/Qt and RPM dependencies. I
have made a binary and source RPM on Mandrake of an XML data access program
but the binary won't install on RH. When I install the source RPM, recreate a
binary RPM on RH, it'll install fine on both machines. So it's obvious (?no?)
that the dependency attached to the Mandrake generated make file/RPM/spec is
false? (the 'missing' library is liblcms.so.1)

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk/
http://www.dclug.org.uk/