[LUG] Scanning problems...

I've bought an Epson Perfection 1250 scanner, because it was listed as being
SANE-compatible (and they actually even make a feeble attempt at writing
their own linux scanning software, too, complete with picture of a penguin
scanning its face, which is nice!).

However, after fiddling with it for a bit, I couldn't get very far.  I tried
mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 45 (or whatever) and that seemed to work,
although it might have been done for me anyway, as a picture of a scanner
(which is a link to XSane) had magically appeared on the desktop.

I thought I managed to get a little bit further than this yesterday, but at
the mo, sane-find-scanners returns nothing, which has got to be a bad sign?

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 on a PC, if there are any other details that might be
relevant, please ask!

Any help much appreciated...

LinuxNewbeeJon