Re: [LUG]

Ray Smith wrote:

My original post concerned my ip address which isn't static apperaing in my
shell prompt in my new install on Mandrake 9.
i.e mrmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx something
or whatever the ip address changes to every few days.
What do I edit so I could change it to something like mrmond@xxxxxxxxxx for
example.

man bash is your friend, see PROMPTING

The default prompt is environment variable "PS1", which you can
set in lots of places, but probably $HOME/.profile is a good
bet.

PS1='\t \u \w $'
export PS1

Try it out on the command line first.

It is displaying hostname by reverse lookup in the DNS, I dare
say you can force hostname some other way (see "man hostname"
for example).