Re: [LUG] SUSE Upgrade madness

Simon Waters wrote:

Decided to sort out my laptop support for SMC2632W Wireless
PCMCIA adaptor, previously I have used it happily without
encryption, but now I want to support it fully.

It is running SuSE 7.2.

Tried PCMCIA_CS version 33. Installed kernel sources, and it
fails.

Seems SuSE mess around with the internals enough to break
PCMCIA_CS build ;-(

Found a source RPM for pcmcia_cs version 3.1.31 from SuSE, but
that fails halfway through complaining about a missing cardinfo
file. Although it looks promising and seems to have built most
of the files I need.

Anyway - what is the upgrade pain like going from 7.2 to 8, or
are there other sensible options?

If it is non-trivial I may reinstall a distro that doesn't mess
around with the kernel so much.

Simon

If you really want to stick with SuSE, then I'd suggest you steer clear of 8.0 and go with 8.1.
8.0 was enough to convert me to Mandrake :-(

Redhat seem good when it comes to messing with the kernel (better than SuSE anyway). I'd agree with Rick and suggest going for 7.3 rather than 8.0.

If it helps, the SWLUG site has reviews of Redhat 8.0, SuSE 8.0 and Mandrake 9.0.

David.

--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.