[LUG] SUSE Upgrade madness

Decided to sort out my laptop support for SMC2632W Wireless
PCMCIA adaptor, previously I have used it happily without
encryption, but now I want to support it fully.

It is running SuSE 7.2.

Tried PCMCIA_CS version 33. Installed kernel sources, and it
fails.

Seems SuSE mess around with the internals enough to break
PCMCIA_CS build ;-(

Found a source RPM for pcmcia_cs version 3.1.31 from SuSE, but
that fails halfway through complaining about a missing cardinfo
file. Although it looks promising and seems to have built most
of the files I need.

Anyway - what is the upgrade pain like going from 7.2 to 8, or
are there other sensible options?

If it is non-trivial I may reinstall a distro that doesn't mess
around with the kernel so much.

Simon