[LUG] ADSL Recommendations

Hi all,

I have just moved from Perranporth to Newquay, so I can now have ADSL installed

I have a couple decisions to make, and would be greatful for recommendations

1) I am currently with 'Demon', do I stay with them or do I change, and if I
  change, who to

The avarage speed of my dial-up connection has gone down in the past couple of
months, is this a general trend (possibly due to the amount of traffic caused by the
up-take of broadband), a 'Demon dial-up' specific problem, or a 'Demon' specific
problem?

2) I have an unused Pentium 90 that is more than up to the job of Firewall,
  but has no USB port. Do I: -
  get a PCI USB card, and do they work with Linux?
  get a ADSL-Ethernet router and how much extra do they cost?
  get a higher spec PC, with a USB port?

I know that some of this may have been covered in past mailings, but the 'Demon'
thing is recent, and peoples experiences of hardware change with time and the rapid
development of Linux, so I hope you don't mind me asking again.

One last thing, I currently use Mandrake 8.2, and plan to upgrade to Mandrake 9.0 in
the near future, if this is of any significance.

Cheers

--Andy Weir-------------------------------------------------------------
| Electrical & Electronics Engineer     Work: andy.weir@xxxxxxxxxx     |
| MIEE       IEE Member No. 8266908     Play: andy.weir@xxxxxxx        |
| (http://www.iee.org.uk)                                              |
| Linux                                    /      \                    |
| Registered User #272048                   _o_/   \                   |
| (http://counter.li.org)                  /  \    /\                  |
| Say no to software patents!           _____|_\@@                     |
| (http://petition.eurolinux.org)             @@@                      |